See What I Have Out
Get a Library Card
Place a Hold
Suggest a Purchase
Reserve a Meeting Room
Get a Job at the Library
Check Library Policies
Find Magazine Articles
Learn a Foreign Language
Obtain a Museum Pass
Norwalk Public Library
1 Belden Ave.
Norwalk, CT 06850
South Norwalk Branch
10 Washington St.
Norwalk, CT 06854
Homework & Research
World History Resources
Anne Frank the Writer: An Unfinished Story
- This website is an online exhibition of Anne Frank's original writings from the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. It is a combination of audio and animation so visitors experience Anne's essays and diary entries read aloud along with photographs of Anne and her family. (Shockwave is needed to view)
Best of History Websites
- View a wide variety of history sites, rated for usefulness and accuracy, to help educators and students in their studies.
Center for History and New Media
- Access this extensive history collection combining history and digital media from George Mason University.
- This site from Ohio State University's History Department is for history students, fans, and enthusiasts. It includes 5300 timeline events, 800 battle outlines, 350 biographies, and thousands of images and maps.
Explorers of the World
- Explore internet links about explorers such as, Christopher Columbus, Lewis and Clark, Henry Hudson, and many more.
Eyewitness to History
- From Pliny at Pompeii to Roosevelt in Africa, this simply indexed website brings you descriptions of events from the people who experienced them.
- This site by Professor Douglas Linder from the University of Missouri, Kansas has detailed information on many famous trials, including the Rosenberg Trial, Scopes “Monkey” Trial, Nuremberg Trials, My Lai Court Martial, and the O.J. Simpson Trial.
Footnotes to History
- This site features information on the nations you don't learn about in high school, such as the Republic of' Rough and Ready, a town in gold rush California that seceded from the Union over taxes in 1850 (and rejoined the next year).
Hispanic Heritage Month
- View Gale Publishing's collection of activities, timelines, and biographies celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month.
- This is an excellent resource of history links for students, educators and history buffs.
- Discover an online database of spoken word collections throughout the 20th century.
- This website serves as a portal to other websites categorized by subject. "The cultures of Africa, Aztec, China, Egypt, Greece, Mayan, Mesopotamia, Rome, Olmec, Prehistory, Middle Ages, and World War II are divided into categories of art, biographies, daily life, maps, pictures, research, and more."
- Research speeches on subjects as diverse as politics, science, diplomacy, and entertainment. Videos include this day in history, historical icons, military and war, arts and society, and science and technology. Each video clip includes a written description of the video.
Mad Monarchs Series
- View short biographies on the personal lives of history's mad royals. Bibliographies are included.
- Need a map of the Ancient Persian Empire or a map of the 1993 Somalia conflict? These and over 1000 other maps and atlases are available from the U.S. Military Academy's Department of History. Some maps are quite large so downloads can be slow.
Military History Online
- From Medieval times to the Vietnam War, this website is a webzine of community submitted articles.
World Digital Library
- Browse the history and geography of the world by place, time, topic, type of item, and institution.
World War I
- This site includes, timelines, and a list of World War I films.
World War II
- This site includes information on the prelude to war, timelines, World War II on film, list of countries that fought in the war, and the number of casualties, famous quotes, and much more.
WWW-VL History: Central Catalogue
- View this directory of history and country links by the University of Kansas.
Year by Year
- Browse world history, timelines, sports, and entertainment news from the last hundred years.
City of Norwalk
Powered by CivicPlus